Friday 3 August 2012

Dwarves and 'Nids

The Dwarves are done! The final four of the grumbly bearded ones are now complete.



I am not really happy with the black stripes on the shield there. They are not really straight or evenly spaced. One of these days I might go back and redo them, but for now I am glad that these models are done. I enjoyed painting them, but could not see myself painting a whole army of dwarves, for any system.

But in the new project? Splinter Fleet Wendigo has made a small start. This is the first test model. The skin is done and I tried a couple of different techniques for me and also experimented with a wet palette. I really like the wet palette. Prior to this, even when thinning my paints with medium they were drying out quite quickly on my palette. This has solved that issue for me.

I have also tried thinning out my paints quite a lot more than I usually do. This has enabled me to get a much smoother coat of paint. It does mean that I have to do several coats to get the same coverage, but it seems to be worth it at this stage. Will I still feel the same way after painting 44 models? The jury is out on that one, because only time and practise will tell.



I tried mixing the carapace colour out of Skavenblight Dinge and Black, with a 2 to 1 mix. This didn't really give me as dark a colour as I wanted, so I will try again with a 1 to 1 mix. I am not sure how this will go with fading the colour out to blue, but that is what test models are for. I have a second termagaunt and a hormagaunt to test on as well before I decide on my final colour scheme. But I am very pleased with the grey / white skin colour so far.

The weekend will hopefully see more progress made on the trial models and I should have a reasonably finalised scheme to put up on Monday.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment